Conformal Systems Support

Please bring new discussion to Github

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 14:58:25

marco
Administrator

spectrwm 2.3.0 released!

* Added ability to move/resize floating windows beyond region boundaries.
* Added 'soft boundary' behavior to region boundaries.  When moving a window past the region boundary, the window will 'snap' to the region boundary if it is less than boundary_width distance beyond the edge.
* Added new boundary_width configuration option. Disable the 'soft boundary' behavior by setting this option to 0.
* Added ability to set tile_gap to negative values.  This makes it possible for tiled windows to overlap.  Set to the opposite of border_width to collapse borders.
* Fixed floating window stacking order issue on multiple-region setups.
* Fixed crash on maprequest when WM_CLASS name and/or instance isn't set.
* Fixed positioning issue on flipped layouts with a multi-column/row stack.
* Fixed focus when switching to an inactive workspace with a new window.
* Fixed symlinks in Linux Makefile.

#2 2013-04-30 03:32:57

tmow
Website

Re: spectrwm 2.3.0 released!

I've tested it and it's a great release!

Some questions and concerns. For some I'm not sure if are bugs or if I can fix it changing the config...

1) Why don't you update the project home page. It doesn't honor all the new functionalities and fixes you have developed.

2) It happens to me, with one application,  that a popup is opened 1x1 pixel and hidden behind the main window.
    It doesn't have a WM_CLASS but just a WM_NAME.

WM_NAME(STRING) = "InfoBox DLL" 

So I've tried, anyway, a quirk:

quirk[InfoBox DLL] = FLOAT + ANYWHERE 

Do you have any ideas?

3) Child windows opens in the original WS (the workspace where the main windows was opened)

For example, If I open a web browser on WS 1 and I  move it to WS 2, all the new windows will be opened on WS 1.

As far I understand I cannot control this with spawn_position, right (sorry didn't try yet)?

4) I know this has been already asked, sorry. Are you planning any improvements for the bar? I understand the concept of minimal tiling manger, but IMHO the limited bar (read it as "it's not like awesome") and the lack of a menu keeps several users faraway and the life of your favorite users quite sad.

For example (see code below) I use conky and dzen2 so that wicd-curses is executed every time I click on a wifi icon, but wicd-curses is executed inside a terminal, instead it would be great if it would be executed in a kind of drop-down box below the bar (and above the other windows). A sort of custom region created at runtime?

^ca(1, urxvt -e wicd-curses)(^i(/usr/share/icons/stlarch_icons/wireless8.xbm) ${wireless_link_bar wlan0}) ^ca() 

Thanks a lot again!!!

Last edited by tmow (2013-04-30 03:58:45)

#3 2013-04-30 13:49:01

marco
Administrator

I am pretty sure you said all this before but I'll be nice and answer again.

1) Takes time, no one has it.  If you are up for it we'll take changes.
2) In the works and is being tracked in flyspray.
3) In the works and is being tracked in flyspray.  This might not be solvable in an acceptable secure form.
4) The bar will not change.  Use another off the shelve one if this bothers you.

This is a minimalist wm and uncompromisingly so.  It offers (almost) all the building blocks needed to extend.  So extend it to meet your needs, we will not add stuff that is not useful for the majority of people.  If there is some information not published that is needed then we can debate it however, like i said, we will not make it "pretty" for one person.

#4 2013-04-30 15:32:08

tmow
Website

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my negligence.

I'll help as I can,

#5 2013-04-30 20:00:01

ideasman42

Excellent release!

Before this I found using on 2 monitors quite cumbersome.

Is there a way to do donate to this project?

#6 2013-05-01 08:57:30

marco
Administrator

Yep, go to https://opensource.conformal.com/wiki/Main_Page and there is a paypal link.

#7 2013-05-02 02:01:16

acampbell

That link is to the US version of paypal. It doesn't work from Britain.

#8 2013-05-02 15:43:36

ideasman42

Hi, hope this is the right place to post, but wmctrl is failing to activate a window for me.
I tried using this...

wmctrl -i -a 0x1a00006

Running with '-v'

I get..

Using window: 0x01a00006
Invalid type of _NET_WM_DESKTOP property.
Invalid type of _WIN_WORKSPACE property.
Cannot find desktop ID of the window.

#9 2013-05-20 19:30:46

plup

:D great release. I like spectrwm too much over all others WM :) Developed very well, thanks for your effort.

My magic wishes are:

- Possibility of put coloured text in the bar as output of a script.
- test if-block in baraction.sh to determine linux/*BSD so it doesn't work on linux (iostat has other parameters)

- the possibility of know wich workspaces are been used (maybe with a number...for example: put 245 in the beggining of the bar if ws 2,4 and 5 has windows on it.
- resize floating windows only with the bottom-right corner (not upper left, upper right, bottom left expansion/reduction) Position/Resize windows will be faster with this behaviour.

- an output to know exist iconified windows (i allways lost them)

- every tiling has Master/Stack ratio resize. An First-Master/other-Master or First-Stack/other-Stack like monsterWM would be perfect

Last edited by plup (2013-05-21 06:10:13)

#10 2013-06-13 11:24:38

Tassadar

This is spectrwm 1.0 actually. :D

I am very happy with this release. You have achieved a really good job. Thanks a lot.

Board footer